Welcome to the Embedded Computing Laboratory (EC Lab) at the Department of Electrical Engineering of the Information Technology University (ITU), Lahore. The research group is directed by Dr. Khurram
Bhatti. Embedded systems contain various combinations of different subsystems with different applications. The research focus of EC Lab is to address computing artifacts such as digital systems, computer architectures, computing models, algorithms, and software from the perspective of the requirements and constraints related to embedded systems such as power & energy efficiency, security, predictability, and real-time so as to propose novel techniques for modeling, optimizing, and verifying current and future embedded computing systems. The EC Lab aims at designing innovative computing systems for the mobile and embedded domain that offer high performance, flexibility, energy-efficiency, and predictability.
- Parallel Computing Systems
- Real-time and Mixed Criticality Systems
- Power and Energy Efficient Computing
- Multicore & Many-core Scheduling
- Operating System Exploitation for Trusted Many-core Architectures
- FPGA-based Digital Design
News and Updates
Team associated with the Embedded Computing lab have been engaged in following projects at Information Technology University (ITU).
- TSUNAMY (Harware and Software ManagemenT of Data SecUrity iN MAnY-core Platform)
- PaPP (Portable and Predictable Performance on Heterogeneous Embedded Manycores).
- COMCAS (COmmunication-centric heterogeneous Multi-Core ArchitectureS).
- Pherma (Parallel, Heterogeneous, Energy Efficient, Real-time, Multiprocessor Architecture).
- STORM (Simulation TOol for Real-time Multiprocessor scheduling).
- EIFFEL VADE-MECUM 2017 has been awarded to ECLab Researcher in the area of information security in many-core computing systems
- e-health.SECURE project has been awarded the European PERIDOT PHC research grant to ECLab Researchers
Faculty associated with the Embedded Computing lab is engaged in teaching following courses at Information Technology University (ITU).
- [ACA] Advanced Computer Architecture – Grad course
- [RTES] Real-Time Embedded Systems – Grad course
- [EDC] Electronics Devices and Circuits – Undergrad course
- [CA] Computer Architecture/Organization – Undergrad course
- [DLD] Digital Logic Design –Undergrad course
University of Nice-Sophia Antipolis (UNICE), France
- Method for scheduling with deadline constraints, in particular in linux, carried out in user space. US Patent Application No.: 20150293787, Kind Code: A1
- S. Bilavarn, J. Khan, C. Belleudy, M. K. Bhatti. Effectiveness of Power Strategies for Video Applications: A Practical Study. Springer’s Journal of Real-Time Image Processing (JRTIP), pp. 1–10, ISSN: 1861-8200, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11554-013-0394-6, IF: 1.156 for 2012.
- M. K. Bhatti, C. Belleudy, M. Auguin. Hybrid power management in real time embedded systems: An interplay of DVFS and DPM techniques. Springer’s journal of Real-Time Systems (RTS), vol. 47, No. 02, pp. 143–162, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11241-011-9116-y, IF: 0.796 for 2010.
- Aslam, M. H., Farooq, U., Awais, M. N., Bhatti, M. K., & Shehzad, N. (2016). Exploring the Effect of LUT Size on the Area and Power Consumption of a Novel Memristor-Transistor Hybrid FPGA Architecture. Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, 1–15.
- M.K. Bhatti, Oz, I., Popov, K., Brorsson, M., & Farooq, U. (2016). Scheduling of Parallel Tasks with Proportionate Priorities. Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, 1–17. http://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-016-2180-9
- M. K. Bhatti, C. Belleudy, M. Auguin. Two-level Hierarchical Scheduling Algorithm for Real-time Multiprocessor Systems. In the Journal of Software (JSW), vol. 3, No. 11, pp. 2308-2320, Academy Publishers, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4304/jsw.6.11.2308-2320, IF: 2.013 for 2010.
- M. K. Bhatti, Isil Oz, Konstantin Popov, Ananya Muddukrishna, and Mats Brorsson. Noodle: A Heuristic Algorithm for Task Scheduling in Parallel Computing Systems. In the Proceedings of International Euromicro Conference on Digital System Design (DSD’14), August 2014, Verona, Italy.
- Jabran Khan, Sebastien Bilavarn, M. K. Bhatti, Cécile Belleudy. Energy Analysis of a Real-time Multiprocessor Control of Idle States. In the proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Pervasive Embedded Computing and Communication Systems (PECCS’13), 2013, Barcelona, Spain, pp: 125-130, Standard: 978-989-8565-43-3.
- M. K. Bhatti, C. Belleudy, M. Auguin. A Semi-partitioned Real-time Scheduling Approach for Periodic Task Systems on Multicore Platforms. In the proceedings of 27th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, SAC’12, March 2012, Riva del Garda (Trento), Italy.
- M. K. Bhatti, C. Belleudy, M. Auguin. An Inter-Task Real-time DVFS Scheme for Multiprocessor Embedded Systems. In the proceedings of International Conference on Design and Architectures for Signal and Image Processing, DASIP’10, 2010, UK.
- M. K. Bhatti, C. Belleudy, M. Auguin. Power Management in Real-time Embedded Systems through Online and Adaptive Interplay of DPM and DVFS Policies. In the proceedings of Int’l Conf. on Embedded & Ubiquitous Computing, EUC’10, 2010, Hong Kong.
- M. K. Bhatti, M. Farooq, C. Belleudy, M. Auguin, O. Mbarek. Assertive Dynamic Power Management (AsDPM) Strategy for Globally Scheduled RT Multiprocessor Systems. In the proceedings of Power and Timing Modeling, Optimization and Simulation, PATMOS’09, and Integrated Circuit and System Design, chapter-8, Springer LNCS Vol. 5953=2010, ISBN 978-3-642-11801-2, Pages 116-126, 2010.
- K. Ben Chehida, R. David, F. Thabet, M. K. Bhatti, M. Auguin, C. Belleudy, A.M. Déplanche, Y. Trinquet, R. Urunuela, F. Broekaert, V.Seignole, A. M. Fouillart. PHERMA, A global approach for system-level energy consumption optimization for Real-time heterogeneous MPSoC architectures. In Proceedings of Low Voltage & Low Power Consumption Conference, FTFC’09, 2009, Switzerland.
- M. K. Bhatti, C. Belleudy, M. Auguin. A Framework for Offine Optimization of Energy Consumption in Real-time Multiprocessor System-on-Chip. In the proceedings of IEEE Int’l Conf. on Electronics, Circuits, and Systems, ICECS’09, 2009, Tunisia.
- M. K. Bhatti, M. Farooq, C. Belleudy, M. Auguin. Improving resource utilization under EDF-based mixed scheduling in multiprocessors real-time systems. In the proceedings of IFIP/IEEE International Conference on Very Large Scale Integration, VLSI-SoC’08, 2008, Rhodes Island, Greece.
- M. Farooq, M. K. Bhatti, F. Muller, C. Belleudy, M. Auguin. Precognitive DVFS: Minimizing Switching Points to Further Reduce the Energy Consumption. In the proceedings of 14th IEEE Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium, 2008, St. Louis, MO, USA.
- M. K. Bhatti, C. Belleudy, M. Auguin. Controlling Energy Profile of Real-time Multiprocessor Systems by Anticipating Application’s Workload at Runtime. In the proceedings of SYMPosium on new Machine Architectures SympA’13, 2009, Toulouse, France.
- M. K. Bhatti, C. Belleudy, M. Auguin. A hybrid scheduling algorithm for optimizing resource utilization & energy consumption in RT multiprocessor systems. In the proceedings of 3rd National Symposium of Research Group on System-on-Chip, System-in-Package, GDR SoC-SiP 008, 2008, Paris, France.
- M. K. Bhatti, M. Farooq, C. Belleudy, M. Auguin. Mixed Scheduling for Improved Resource Utilization and Energy Consumption in Real-time Multiprocessor Systems. In the proceedings of Sophia Antipolis MicroElectronics forum, SAME’08, 2008, Sophia Antipolis, France.
- M. K. Bhatti, L. Apvrille. Modeling and simulation of system-on-chip (SoC) hardware architectures for design space exploration. In the proceedings of Sophia Antipolis MicroElectronics forum, SAME’07, 2007, Sophia Antipolis, France
- Muhammad Khurram Bhatti. Energy-Aware Scheduling For Real-Time Embedded Systems, Scheduling For More Than Temporal Correctness. Lambert Academic Publishing, Editor: B. Bessons, ISBN: 978-3-8465-5205-6, Publication year: 2012.
- Method for scheduling with deadline constraints, in particular in linux, carried out in user space. S. Bilavarn, M. K. Bhatti, C. Beeleudy. US Patent (US 9582325 B2), 2017